Monthly Archives: July 2013

More backbone

Standard
I love this quote. I decided to use it on the second plastered (joint compound) spread, this one in my Strathmore journal. I did the same thing in this that I did in the Moleskine but I probably could have skipped the tissue as it doesn't really show through; I was much more liberal with the joint compound and sealed it before painting this time so it didn't wear off. I also used a watered down charcoal gray acrylic over all to bring out the texture and a few India and acrylic ink splots for contrast.
 

Tim Holtz Bigz alpha die letters. Love this die and was definitely worth buying (on sale!) but had to shim it ever so slightly in the center–literally, a piece of cardstock taped to the back center did it–or some of the letters wouldn't cut cleanly. Shaded the letters with charcoal–it's the details!

 

Advertisements

Daydream Believer

Standard

Remember that song? I mean the old one, by the Monkees. ๐Ÿ˜‰ This spread in my Moleskine journal started as several waste strips from a Tim Hotz alpha die from different papers: a map, an old dictionary page, and Coredinations paper. Glued those down with Collage Pauge and painted over with matte acrylics mixed with gesso. I did some really light stamping with black Archival and a text stamp and wondered what to do next. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I noticed some Ranger glossy cardstock I hadn't used yet and decided to do something I haven't done in ages: use a photo stamp. First, though, I wanted to try some techniques that were the reason I bought that cardstock in the first place. I got out some alcohol inks and the alcohol (70%, the non-drinking kind) and played around. I used two regular colors of Adirondack and the silver metallic. I had too much silver to start and had to work a bit to move it out of the center. I used the rubbing alcohol to create lighter areas, splats and splotches. I kept working it until I was happy with the look, even using white Dylusions spray and wiping it off at one point to mute the brightness some. Then I got out the brayer and the black Archival. I think this might be a stamp by Elements but I have no idea. It's one of the last photo stamps I bought, years ago, at Ruby Dog's Art House in Vancouver. I remember when photo stamps were the rage and going through piles of glossy cardstock trying to get a perfect stamped image. Gah. This is good enough. What looks like white is silver; that's glare.

I put some washi tape down first as a sort of frame and stuck the photo down with foam tape. Then I added the quote–found on Pinterest–using letters from that Tim Holtz alphabet die. I finished off by rubbing some black Archival around the photo and on and around the edges of the pages. It really makes pages more dimensional so don't skip it!

 

Plastered

Standard

Not much going on down in the studio these days. Too hot! I did manage to work on this spread in stages, based on one of Donna Downey's recent Inspiration Wednesday videos. I started off exactly like she did, with Tim Holtz tissue paper and joint compound (not plaster), with acrylic paint over. Then I decided to use some batik flowers I cut ages ago with the Alterations Tattered Floral die (I think) and buttons. I used a Stabilo All pencil for the stems but it bled onto some of the flowers. In the words of Dina Wakely, oops, oh well. I like how they look otherwise. I colored in the leaves a bit with Neocolor crayons and glued buttons down as centers. Some Donna Downey stamps and Neocolor crayon around the edge to finish. Be sure to seal the joint compound when it dries or it rubs off quite easily and loses all the interesting texture. Kind of a ho-hum design but I was done looking at the background and wanted to move on. And get out of the heat. Rather than be bold, I just did what made me happy at the time. <snark>

 

I've started another spread in a bigger journal using the same technique but I had to come up for air. And I have no idea where it's going, either.