Category Archives: composition

Yet more fun with Jane: Abstract Painting in Vermont 2016

Standard
 

This year, Jane Davies held her week-long Abstract Painting in Vermont workshop in the Manchester Community Library. It is a great space, with lots of light and room to work, and climate controlled, which was a blessing this summer. Early August was beastly humid.

 

We had great fun with shapes (meltdowns notwithstanding) and pattern and throwing monkey wrenches into the works.

It was great to stretch the creative muscles and hone observational skills, and just spend the whole week flinging paint and seeing what would happen. Here are some of my pieces, the last of which I think it's finished.

 

 

Fun with Jane: Abstract Painting in Vermont 2015

Standard

For the third year in a row I attended Jane Davies' week-long art retreat in southern Vermont. Despite some seriously hot weather, it was a great week and I feel like I accomplished a lot.

 

We were in the Rupert firehouse, as usual. They even had a call one day while we were at lunch!

 

We were working in series, starting with certain parameters and adding a few variables. I decided one of my parameters would be neutrals.

 

 

Somehow, this one got to look like Hello Kitty! I haven't had the hear to work it over yet. LOL

 

 

 

 

I'm happy with where this work is going. Nothing finished yet, but well on its way.

I'm really excited about the work I did from an inspiration piece:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I've got about two dozen pieces in various stages, and I feel like I have a year's worth of inspiration and direction. Another excellent artful week with Jane and the girls!

 

Continuing journey

Standard

A week ago, I was driving home from Rupert, VT, just having finished my second Collage Journeys workshop with Jane Davies. It's an intense five days (three full days and two half days) but an absolute gold mine of inspiration and direction. Jane is a great teacher and I've learned a ton both years. The theme was working in series, and we had several series in the works by the end of the week.

Here's the venue, the Rupert firehouse, and Jane dispensing pearls of wisdom during a break.

Here are a few of my 4x4s, all works in progress (they aren't busy enough yet!)

 

Here are a couple of cruciform studies. These are probably busy enough, but also not finished.

 

I have lots of stuff to work on and more directions to take. Such a great time!

 

Some future season

Standard

I had a long weekend in the studio and spent most of it working on two pieces that evolved fairly quickly (unlike the series I seem to have been working on all winter). They both started with a background of yellows and tan:

I started this as a horizon but it didn't stay that way:

 

This one is called Spring.

I managed to get more photos of the stages of this one:

 

 

 

This one is Summer.

Neither Spring nor Summer seem anywhere nearby as we just had 20-some inches of snow this week. But we can dream…

 

Evolution of a journal spread

Standard

I put the beginnings of this spread up a while ago:

Here's the latest and final incarnation:
 

Spent some time on the little details:

It didn't take that long to finish this. I lost this journal for about three weeks, behind a chair on a box in the studio. Of course, I have no memory of putting it there. Finding it spurred me to work on more than just this spread. More to come!

 

Deli paper print abstract series 1

Standard

I was inspired by Jane Davies' video using deli paper prints as a way to start paintings, so much so that I've got three series going now. Here in the first, I use cheap acrylic in a celedon (I think mine is Italian Sage) like Jane did.

I've always liked the combination of celedon, dark blue, and purple, so I used it here with Indian yellow hue, which I really like as contrast.

 

I'm not sure where these are going but I feel like leaving them fairly 'rough'.

 

Series continued

Standard

I've been making progress on my series this week. The pieces started with acrylic paints and then I added some collage papers.

 

Then I used either graphite or Stabilo All pencil to define some rough, mostly rectangular shapes.

I used some hand-carved stamps with permanent ink.

I defined a few areas with white paint and painted over with a contrasting yellow green, and added blue violet accents.

I added some more white and have been tweaking some areas. I'm not sure if I'm done, but I've started another series!

 

Lost, found, and reworked

Standard

A month has flown by since I posted last. Incredible. I've always kept the holiday hubbub to a minimum, but I've been investing energy in plenty of other places and suddenly the end of the year is nigh.

I've been spending time in the studio–some of it cleaning!–mostly on experiments and not so many finished pieces. I've got pieces from all the Text & Image lessons, just nothing to the point it feels ready to put out there. And some of them are lost in the piles I've been moving around, along with a couple of other things I'm looking for. Sigh.

I did work more on one lesson 3 piece at Jane's suggestion, and toned it down. You can see the previous stage in an earlier post. Definitely less overpowering. I think it still may not be done but here's the next stage:

I have found things while cleaning the studio, too, one of which has triggered some experiments I'm pretty lit up about. I also found my box of Secondary Color Canvas pieces, so I'm committed to doing some serious work on that project in the coming months. I think it's a good idea to go into a new year with intentions rather than resolutions. In fact, 'Intention' is my word for 2014. One of my intentions is to put my word for the year 'out there' more, so here's a start!