I created this journal from Gelli prints as something I could take on vacation with me–and something to use all those Gelli prints!
I cut every 9 x 12 print in four 3 x 9 pieces and used the Rubi-Coil to bind them. Not sure how the cover came about other than an excess of white spray paint that then dried and stuck the stencil I was using to the paper, requiring some tearing to remove it. I like the texture.
I'm planning to use this in both horizontal and vertical formats. If I can bring myself to do anything, that is. Some of the prints are pretty cool as they are!
Finished! I think. At least I'm far enough along that I can hold it in my hands and leaf through the pages. I may string some beads on the spine cords if I can find some beads I like. There are 14 signatures and the cover is acrylic-painted anaglypta wallpaper. I wanted to make a true softcover book with just the wallpaper but decided that I'd need a little more strength so I used pieces of a cereal box. I got the idea for the spine from a YouTube video–don't remember whose–when I was looking for tape binding tutorials.
Some of the prints can stand as is and some are dying for embellishment. I imagine this as an art journal with only some pages used for journaling. I used LOTS of commercial stencils and masks and some of my own made with commercial hand-cuts and die-cuts. These are mainly Gelli plate and gelatin prints but some are spray-paint stencil prints I made last weekend. I may do some more of these if our weekend is as nice as its supposed to be.
This is my design notebook for 2012. I have an 8×10 shop pad (actually, I have several) from Lee Valley Tools that I use for ideas, doodles, designs, lists, techniques, notes, snide comments, quotes, fiendish plans, recipes, calligraphy practice, shipping confirmation numbers, reminders…it sits on the arm of my chair and I tear sheets off and save them, eventually collecting them in a spiral-bound notebook for the year. Last year’s cover aptly features stenciling with spray paints.
I suppose this is an art journal of sorts. It’s a record of what I’m working on and planning to work on, and I keep looking back and getting ideas.
My first Coptic-bound book. I got the idea for using ‘leftovers’ for book pages from Julie Fei-Fan Balzer’s blog. I have a ton of old calendars, maps, background papers, and specialty papers–way more than I needed for this book. I made a resolution a while ago to use this stuff more…in something. I put together enough for 3 eight-signature books. 😉 I wasn’t going to show the binding because its pretty ragged, but what the hell, it’s a good first effort made more difficult by the inclusion of pages of different weights, sizes, and textures. Did I make a practice book first? No, that would require patience and I have no more than I’ve ever had, despite making multiple resolutions. Anyway, I used several different kinds of old calendar pages, a few maps, a bunch of acrylic- painted cardstock, some cool handmade papers from India, Somerset Studio Collage Clips, and some double-sided tie-dye paper from Blick.
I had to watch a YouTube video to figure out the Coptic stitching. There’s something about stitching that I usually can’t get from diagrams. It isn’t hard and it moves fairly quickly once you get going.ll definitely make at least two more of these. 😉
I’m back from two weeks in Minnesota and Iowa. Almost every summer when I was a kid, we would go ‘Up North’ from our farm in Iowa to a lake in Minnesota (or Canada) for a week of fishing and fun with my mom’s sister’s family and sometimes our grandparents and other family. We looked forward to it all year long. I haven’t been back for a fishing trip for several years, so it was great to get to spend 10 days on Wasson Lake, throwing bait around, eating and laughing. I took a Moleskine watercolor book that I had done some backgrounds in before I left. I usually don’t do much artwork on vacation. I have great intentions for making art that rarely materialize. This year was no exception. I seemed to slide almost immediately into a state of ennui brought on by oxygen-saturated September breezes and no vacation for four years.
I did manage to cut out a picture of some Northern pikes from the Minnesota fishing guide and do a little doodling on one spread. I took a lot of pictures, though, and amassed a large collection of STASH tea bag envelopes for future pages. I especially like this background. I sprayed Dylusions dyes over wet pages and the pooled dyes give the impression of the map of a coastline. Did a little gesso stenciling, too.
Started back in on my splash book pages. These really probably need plain black and white images, but I like my Retro Cafe/Cemerony moon man here.
I feel compelled to fill the pages of these books but if I’m honest, I just like to look at their spines all packed together in the plastic container that’s become their home. Looks like there’s room for at least one more…
I think I got carried away on this spread, but it was fun to do. The iPad doesn’t take great pictures but it’s an easy way to get images posted.
Okay, I’m trying to post a photo of a page from my second splash book from the iPad. We’ll see how this works…or not…