Remember that song? I mean the old one, by the Monkees. 😉 This spread in my Moleskine journal started as several waste strips from a Tim Hotz alpha die from different papers: a map, an old dictionary page, and Coredinations paper. Glued those down with Collage Pauge and painted over with matte acrylics mixed with gesso. I did some really light stamping with black Archival and a text stamp and wondered what to do next. 😉 I noticed some Ranger glossy cardstock I hadn't used yet and decided to do something I haven't done in ages: use a photo stamp. First, though, I wanted to try some techniques that were the reason I bought that cardstock in the first place. I got out some alcohol inks and the alcohol (70%, the non-drinking kind) and played around. I used two regular colors of Adirondack and the silver metallic. I had too much silver to start and had to work a bit to move it out of the center. I used the rubbing alcohol to create lighter areas, splats and splotches. I kept working it until I was happy with the look, even using white Dylusions spray and wiping it off at one point to mute the brightness some. Then I got out the brayer and the black Archival. I think this might be a stamp by Elements but I have no idea. It's one of the last photo stamps I bought, years ago, at Ruby Dog's Art House in Vancouver. I remember when photo stamps were the rage and going through piles of glossy cardstock trying to get a perfect stamped image. Gah. This is good enough. What looks like white is silver; that's glare.
I put some washi tape down first as a sort of frame and stuck the photo down with foam tape. Then I added the quote–found on Pinterest–using letters from that Tim Holtz alphabet die. I finished off by rubbing some black Archival around the photo and on and around the edges of the pages. It really makes pages more dimensional so don't skip it!
I love Daniel Torrente's designs for Stampotique Originals. I also love Dyan Reaveley's Say It How It Is stamps. I combined two in this journal page with a gesso-through-stencil base under Dylusions inks. I probably need something else in the foreground here but I don't know what it is yet. 😉
This spread was for the Fall Fearless & Fly challenge #5. My favorite color from childhood, pink, and my favorite color now, orange, were already part of the gelatin print on the left-hand page. I thought about the subject of heroes and did some journaling on the right page. I remember reading about Harriet Tubman in about fourth grade or so, and wondering how anyone could survive being a slave, and how brave she was to lead slaves to freedom over and over. The word ‘hero’ is overused, but someone who risks life or freedom to help others will always be a hero.
I chose the phrase to integrate the number 4 embedded in the collage; it’s a stencil from a wooden house number. And yes, it is a double entendre.
Okay, here’s the last one of my creepy pages using my new Stampotique stamps. Fittingly, it’s also the last page in this journal. I expect to use this stamp a lot.
I’m working on other stuff, believe it or not. Trouble is, every time I sit down I get a cat on my lap!
Here’s the second of my pages using my new Stampotique stamps. This is on the page facing the one in my last post and is done the same way except I stamped onto the page and used a white poster paint pen for subtle accents. I also stamped the words and bat moon (Clearstamps) and then lifted the color off inside the moon with a waterbrush. I can see I’m going to have to try this technique with different base and spray colors.
I have to share this page now, although I’m not happy with the photos I have, but Willie is sleeping on my lap so no running down to the studio to take more. 😉 I received my first Stampotique stamps yesterday and I had to use them. I’m not a big fan of wood-mounted stamps as they take up more room than unmounted, but these are quality stamps and a joy to use! These are by Daniel Torrente & Jill Penney and I love their designs. The background rocks, in my opinion. It started as neutral-colored acrylic paint. I used (a lot of) masking tape and sprayed with Colorwash and Dylusions and then sprayed with water and blotted it off. Love the effect! I stamped and watercolored the Stampotique images and glued them on and used a couple of Clearstamp Halloween stamps right on the page.
Moose was down supervising in the studio yesterday and he said that it’s never too early for Halloween. I got a pile of new stencils from the Crafters Workshop and there’s a ‘cubist’ one that made me think of Klimt, which made me think of one of the many skeleton/Death stamps I have (hey, it ain’t all pink flowers here), this one from Nonsequitur. I was thinking of doing something dimensional with the stencil, like molding paste, then I suddenly remembered that I have some Distress crackle paint, which would be perfect if it worked. My new motto is “If you’re going to screw up, do it at full speed.” (Daryl “Moose” Johnston) Honestly, I thought there was a good chance of it working as long as the crackle paint wasn’t too hard to control.
So here’s the result of the first experiment. Should have done the transfer before the sprays, since I used Dylusions, which react with water–and gel medium–but this is pretty much the look I was after. I’m working on a small canvas where I’ve used the stamp at actual size.