Yes, it's been a while. I've been working on a few things but nothing finished so far. I'm always doing other things in the spring, although it's been a slow spring to get going here.
I'm finished with this journal spread unless I decide to actually journal on it. It was mainly an experiment with shading. Next time I won't use the mechanical pencil to do the outlines. I used charcoal for all the shading over Dylusions sprays and stamping using Archival ink, then a couple of layers of workable fixative.
We've reached the end of March without much sign of spring here in VT except a few disappointed red-wing blackbirds who hung around the feeders out back for a couple of days. I suspect they've retreated south again; I heard a distinct “WTF?” In the usual red-wing calls. We're nursing another sick cat, and when I can't entice him to sleep on my lap, I've been working on this journal spread.
Acrylic, graphite, watercolor crayon, charcoal pencil, marker
I put the beginnings of this spread up a while ago:
Here's the latest and final incarnation:
Spent some time on the little details:
It didn't take that long to finish this. I lost this journal for about three weeks, behind a chair on a box in the studio. Of course, I have no memory of putting it there. Finding it spurred me to work on more than just this spread. More to come!
I've been called to work on the horizon composition style again. Here's an in-progress shot and a maybe-it's-finished shot.
Acrylics, graphite pencil, collage papers
Not much going on down in the studio these days. Too hot! I did manage to work on this spread in stages, based on one of Donna Downey's recent Inspiration Wednesday videos. I started off exactly like she did, with Tim Holtz tissue paper and joint compound (not plaster), with acrylic paint over. Then I decided to use some batik flowers I cut ages ago with the Alterations Tattered Floral die (I think) and buttons. I used a Stabilo All pencil for the stems but it bled onto some of the flowers. In the words of Dina Wakely, oops, oh well. I like how they look otherwise. I colored in the leaves a bit with Neocolor crayons and glued buttons down as centers. Some Donna Downey stamps and Neocolor crayon around the edge to finish. Be sure to seal the joint compound when it dries or it rubs off quite easily and loses all the interesting texture. Kind of a ho-hum design but I was done looking at the background and wanted to move on. And get out of the heat. Rather than be bold, I just did what made me happy at the time. <snark>
I've started another spread in a bigger journal using the same technique but I had to come up for air. And I have no idea where it's going, either.
This is an homage to Charles Rennie McIntosh, one of my favorite artists. It started as a mandala that reminded me of the famous McIntosh rose. I had the green background painted on a journal page, so I added the stem and used the rest of the page to practice a bit of Nouveau calligraphy.
Journal page with a Daniel Torrente stamp and Dyan Reaveley Say It How It Is stamp. All the same as the previous page but some washi tape and watercolor crayons over, and a bit of journaling. Can't get a great photo but the colors are close.
A little seasonal art journaling. I’ve been playing with a different journaling style and some different pens. I used some chipboard pieces I’ve had for at least a year. Ho ho ho!
I started this when I started my Fall Fearless and Fly page but it’s taken me longer to finish. I used just about every warm-colored acrylic paint I have to start and built up the background with thick paint layers, (some scraped on with a palette knife) masking tape, cheesecloth, and Distress Crackle paint. I just had to add some cobalt teal because I love the way it pops on warm colors. The collage in the center is made from an original photo transparency over decorative paper, and an Anima monument image stamped with aqua paint. The frame combines black Dresden, stamped and plain masking tape, Tim Holtz Ideology gears, adhesive gems, and ribbon. I like the way this came out; definitely worth the time to build up the background. A couple of close ups below show some details.
Starting a new art journal. I decided to try the Strathmore hardcover watercolor journal as a change from the spiral bound Visual journals I’ve been using. We’ll see how it stands up to all the sprays I use. This is a page where I used gesso and acrylic paint as the first layer, scratched through it, and then sprayed over it with dark blue and black. I journaled a bit with a paint pen then sprayed through a Crafters Workshop stencil. The leaves were cut out of acrylic-painted paper I made ages ago.