A month has flown by since I posted last. Incredible. I've always kept the holiday hubbub to a minimum, but I've been investing energy in plenty of other places and suddenly the end of the year is nigh.
I've been spending time in the studio–some of it cleaning!–mostly on experiments and not so many finished pieces. I've got pieces from all the Text & Image lessons, just nothing to the point it feels ready to put out there. And some of them are lost in the piles I've been moving around, along with a couple of other things I'm looking for. Sigh.
I did work more on one lesson 3 piece at Jane's suggestion, and toned it down. You can see the previous stage in an earlier post. Definitely less overpowering. I think it still may not be done but here's the next stage:
I have found things while cleaning the studio, too, one of which has triggered some experiments I'm pretty lit up about. I also found my box of Secondary Color Canvas pieces, so I'm committed to doing some serious work on that project in the coming months. I think it's a good idea to go into a new year with intentions rather than resolutions. In fact, 'Intention' is my word for 2014. One of my intentions is to put my word for the year 'out there' more, so here's a start!
Okay, Lesson 2 at last. My Golden gel and matte mediums always seem too dry and stiff for image transfer so I tried using Utrecht matte medium and I like it better; the transfers are a bit thinner and stretchier than with Golden but they're smoother and less likely to crack.
Here's my first piece. This is an image from a Dover royalty-free CD. I call her 'The Frenchwoman' because she reminds me of a figure from a Seurat painting, so I went with an impressionist feel. The background text is all in French. I found the headline on the right in a Montreal newspaper; it translates as “How does one manage artists?”, which gave me a chuckle.
The one below is me at about 3 or 4. All the background text is from a 1968 Jack and Jill magazine–but don't let me date myself…I was trying to go with a kind of childlike painting technique. Not sure I like it but the colors are good.
Moose was down supervising in the studio yesterday and he said that it’s never too early for Halloween. I got a pile of new stencils from the Crafters Workshop and there’s a ‘cubist’ one that made me think of Klimt, which made me think of one of the many skeleton/Death stamps I have (hey, it ain’t all pink flowers here), this one from Nonsequitur. I was thinking of doing something dimensional with the stencil, like molding paste, then I suddenly remembered that I have some Distress crackle paint, which would be perfect if it worked. My new motto is “If you’re going to screw up, do it at full speed.” (Daryl “Moose” Johnston) Honestly, I thought there was a good chance of it working as long as the crackle paint wasn’t too hard to control.
So here’s the result of the first experiment. Should have done the transfer before the sprays, since I used Dylusions, which react with water–and gel medium–but this is pretty much the look I was after. I’m working on a small canvas where I’ve used the stamp at actual size.