Here's something I made with the same techniques I've been using on 5×7 watercolor paper only using Derwent's Inktense Blocks instead of watercolor crayons. My intent is to place a quote on here, eventually, but I've been more inspired to do the art and leave the quote for later. I've got quite a collection of 5×7 pieces waiting for quotes. Maybe I'll finish some up for gifts. Maybe…
I had a long weekend in the studio and spent most of it working on two pieces that evolved fairly quickly (unlike the series I seem to have been working on all winter). They both started with a background of yellows and tan:
This one is called Spring.
I managed to get more photos of the stages of this one:
This one is Summer.
Neither Spring nor Summer seem anywhere nearby as we just had 20-some inches of snow this week. But we can dream…
I put the beginnings of this spread up a while ago:
Spent some time on the little details:
It didn't take that long to finish this. I lost this journal for about three weeks, behind a chair on a box in the studio. Of course, I have no memory of putting it there. Finding it spurred me to work on more than just this spread. More to come!
I started blogging about the Collage Journeys workshop with Jane Davies on Monday.
The workshop itself was about using opposites in collage. We started with monochrome…
…then moved on to complementary colors.
Notice the 'subliminal' chicken…chickens were a theme of the week…
I even did a couple of purple and yellow pieces, my least favorite pair.
The one major accomplishment for me of the week was to 'just keep working' on pieces. I was excited to see the pieces evolve.
I think the only one I'm absolutely done with is the monochrome piece. Im still buzzing from this workshop. It's such a joy to spend days at a time immersed in art; learning about it, watching it done, and doing it. And I want to thank the gang of Sherri, Janet, Cathy, Pam, and Gwen again for making the hours we weren't making art so much fun!
Not much going on down in the studio these days. Too hot! I did manage to work on this spread in stages, based on one of Donna Downey's recent Inspiration Wednesday videos. I started off exactly like she did, with Tim Holtz tissue paper and joint compound (not plaster), with acrylic paint over. Then I decided to use some batik flowers I cut ages ago with the Alterations Tattered Floral die (I think) and buttons. I used a Stabilo All pencil for the stems but it bled onto some of the flowers. In the words of Dina Wakely, oops, oh well. I like how they look otherwise. I colored in the leaves a bit with Neocolor crayons and glued buttons down as centers. Some Donna Downey stamps and Neocolor crayon around the edge to finish. Be sure to seal the joint compound when it dries or it rubs off quite easily and loses all the interesting texture. Kind of a ho-hum design but I was done looking at the background and wanted to move on. And get out of the heat. Rather than be bold, I just did what made me happy at the time. <snark>
I've started another spread in a bigger journal using the same technique but I had to come up for air. And I have no idea where it's going, either.
Got Dina Wakley’s new book, Art Journal Freedom, last week and I think it’s the best art book buy I’ve ever made. It’s kind of funny because when it became available for preorder on Amazon I ordered it because I like her style; I didn’t realize it was based on lessons in composition (I know, read the subtitle!) and color. I think I do okay with color (orange obsession aside) but I need help with composition; too much left-brain influence. I like Dina’s writing style, too. It’s intelligent, engaging, and encouraging, a combination that seems hard to achieve.
I started a journal page based on the second chapter (the first chapter is a materials list, good stuff for beginners), then discovered my lovely squares are too big for the page. Oops, oh well, as Dina says! I used scraps to make rectangles (so my page has asymmetrical symmetry) and I started a canvas to use with the squares.
Here’s the journal page. More photos of the rest on the DRCH Studio Facebook page
My first Coptic-bound book. I got the idea for using ‘leftovers’ for book pages from Julie Fei-Fan Balzer’s blog. I have a ton of old calendars, maps, background papers, and specialty papers–way more than I needed for this book. I made a resolution a while ago to use this stuff more…in something. I put together enough for 3 eight-signature books. 😉 I wasn’t going to show the binding because its pretty ragged, but what the hell, it’s a good first effort made more difficult by the inclusion of pages of different weights, sizes, and textures. Did I make a practice book first? No, that would require patience and I have no more than I’ve ever had, despite making multiple resolutions. Anyway, I used several different kinds of old calendar pages, a few maps, a bunch of acrylic- painted cardstock, some cool handmade papers from India, Somerset Studio Collage Clips, and some double-sided tie-dye paper from Blick.
I had to watch a YouTube video to figure out the Coptic stitching. There’s something about stitching that I usually can’t get from diagrams. It isn’t hard and it moves fairly quickly once you get going.ll definitely make at least two more of these. 😉
The Top 2000 Blog Party is on at Marit’s Paper World! I did a few pieces for it and might do more if I get a chance. Love hearing the broadcast and all those songs I haven’t heard for ages. It reminds me of the top 100 countdowns on New Years I used to listen to as a teenager, but supersized. 😉 you can still join in the fun. It goes for the next week!
Here’s my first piece, for Downtown by Petula Clark, one of the first pop songs I can remember really liking. yup, I’m that old! 😉