I got started working big again, this time with drip backgrounds like I'd started at the Abstract in VT workshop with Jane in 2015. One of these actually IS a Big Fat Art piece from that workshop and the other two are painting to music loosening up pieces for this summer's workshop. All are on cheap drawing paper. What I've learned from working on these so far is that I want to do more big pieces, and I want to get more texture. Ergo, I'm going to start some on heavyweight Stonehenge printmaking paper and 20×24 canvas. Time to start thinking about winter projects!
BFA piece. Who knows what's under all that…going for a sort of street art-graffiti look here
These three started as a series riffing off the first one. The plan was to use a similar color scheme over the drip backgrounds.
This one is going to get a lot of that turquoise covered with black…
I don't know exactly where this one is going, but I love the top!
This year, Jane Davies held her week-long Abstract Painting in Vermont workshop in the Manchester Community Library. It is a great space, with lots of light and room to work, and climate controlled, which was a blessing this summer. Early August was beastly humid.
We had great fun with shapes (meltdowns notwithstanding) and pattern and throwing monkey wrenches into the works.
It was great to stretch the creative muscles and hone observational skills, and just spend the whole week flinging paint and seeing what would happen. Here are some of my pieces, the last of which I think it's finished.
For the third year in a row I attended Jane Davies' week-long art retreat in southern Vermont. Despite some seriously hot weather, it was a great week and I feel like I accomplished a lot.
We were in the Rupert firehouse, as usual. They even had a call one day while we were at lunch!
We were working in series, starting with certain parameters and adding a few variables. I decided one of my parameters would be neutrals.
Somehow, this one got to look like Hello Kitty! I haven't had the hear to work it over yet. LOL
I'm happy with where this work is going. Nothing finished yet, but well on its way.
I'm really excited about the work I did from an inspiration piece:
I've got about two dozen pieces in various stages, and I feel like I have a year's worth of inspiration and direction. Another excellent artful week with Jane and the girls!
5 x 7, watercolor crayon and graphite
5 x 7, graphite and watercolor crayon
A week ago, I was driving home from Rupert, VT, just having finished my second Collage Journeys workshop with Jane Davies. It's an intense five days (three full days and two half days) but an absolute gold mine of inspiration and direction. Jane is a great teacher and I've learned a ton both years. The theme was working in series, and we had several series in the works by the end of the week.
Here's the venue, the Rupert firehouse, and Jane dispensing pearls of wisdom during a break.
Here are a few of my 4x4s, all works in progress (they aren't busy enough yet!)
Here are a couple of cruciform studies. These are probably busy enough, but also not finished.
I have lots of stuff to work on and more directions to take. Such a great time!
I've been making progress on my series this week. The pieces started with acrylic paints and then I added some collage papers.
Then I used either graphite or Stabilo All pencil to define some rough, mostly rectangular shapes.
I used some hand-carved stamps with permanent ink.
I defined a few areas with white paint and painted over with a contrasting yellow green, and added blue violet accents.
I added some more white and have been tweaking some areas. I'm not sure if I'm done, but I've started another series!
I finally got a fourth 6 x 8 canvas so I could finish my grandparents collage series. The series started with the aqua canvas that was an out of the journal project when Dina Wakeley was doing that challenge. I took a favorite journal spread and put it on canvas, and added the thumbnail of my Gramma Mac as a girl (yes, that’s not the usual spelling, but Gramma Mac told me she loved it so I always spell it that way) as a focal image. Before it was finished I knew I’d have to do three more.