I had a long weekend in the studio and spent most of it working on two pieces that evolved fairly quickly (unlike the series I seem to have been working on all winter). They both started with a background of yellows and tan:
This one is called Spring.
I managed to get more photos of the stages of this one:
This one is Summer.
Neither Spring nor Summer seem anywhere nearby as we just had 20-some inches of snow this week. But we can dream…
I've been making progress on my series this week. The pieces started with acrylic paints and then I added some collage papers.
Then I used either graphite or Stabilo All pencil to define some rough, mostly rectangular shapes.
I used some hand-carved stamps with permanent ink.
I defined a few areas with white paint and painted over with a contrasting yellow green, and added blue violet accents.
I added some more white and have been tweaking some areas. I'm not sure if I'm done, but I've started another series!
Moose was down supervising in the studio yesterday and he said that it’s never too early for Halloween. I got a pile of new stencils from the Crafters Workshop and there’s a ‘cubist’ one that made me think of Klimt, which made me think of one of the many skeleton/Death stamps I have (hey, it ain’t all pink flowers here), this one from Nonsequitur. I was thinking of doing something dimensional with the stencil, like molding paste, then I suddenly remembered that I have some Distress crackle paint, which would be perfect if it worked. My new motto is “If you’re going to screw up, do it at full speed.” (Daryl “Moose” Johnston) Honestly, I thought there was a good chance of it working as long as the crackle paint wasn’t too hard to control.
So here’s the result of the first experiment. Should have done the transfer before the sprays, since I used Dylusions, which react with water–and gel medium–but this is pretty much the look I was after. I’m working on a small canvas where I’ve used the stamp at actual size.